24 January 2009

Okay, healthy snacks...well, um...

Um, healthy snacks...yeah...

This did not come easily to us. The whole adjustment to Kevin's illness had it's moments of sheer frustration. Luckily, now, he's healthy and although we still have to be vigilant, it's not so bad. (one day I will post about the Graves Disease adventure...*fun* she types sarcastically)

What was I talking about? Oh, yeah. Snacks...

String Cheese
Snack cheese...the brand here is Tilamook cheese here and it's like a 1 oz. piece. One of these & crackers will usually tide him by nicely.
Apples, grapes, oranges
Peanuts
Cashews
Occasionally raisins
Peanut butter granola bars
Fruit bars..the 100% fruit kind.
Here is an interesting thing:
Snickers can be good for you! Snickers! They have just the same amount of everything as energy bars. And they have a higher content of protein than any candy bar. Of course they can't be eaten every day but it sure was helpful to know.

He tried yogurt and that was a bust. I can slip frozen yogurt past him, sometimes.

He likes fruit smoothies but that can give tummy trouble and the sugar content can backfire.

Popcorn...while not bad for you, isn't necessarily good for you. The carbs can get him by.

He's not a huge trail mix fan but that can be a good snack; even if it's a mixture of leftover cereals, pretzels, etc.

PB&J sandwiches

I am sure there are more but these are like the Top 10 ones that I can count on him eating.



1 comment:

Swistle said...

When I was expecting the twins, I read a book by a mulitiples-pregnancies expert, and she recommended Snickers bars! My goodness, wasn't I happy to hear THAT! (She also recommended milkshakes.)