08 January 2009

Dr. Drake Remoray

My nephew ... the grand one, not the grown-up one...was going to be named Gregory Evan or Evan Gregory. I really liked the name Gregory and it's not a name you hear anymore so I was pleased. (like that matters in the grand scope of things)

So it was to our surprise that he was named Drake. We were standing in the hospital room when his mom told us and we were both a little taken aback. Kevin turned to me at one point and said "How am I ever going to remember that name?" I shrugged, I had no idea.

Finally, Kevin is given the baby to hold. He's never held a baby and he was nervous. But he settled down on the edge of the bed and cooed appropriately to Drake so I wasn't that worried about them. Kevin also has this funny habit of talking to kids like they're adults so that's always entertaining. (for example: "You're drooling. How are you going to pick up chicks doing that?")

The first thing Kevin said after holding him a minute was "How can anyone look at this baby and say there isn't a God?"

Yeah, that was a good moment.

We chatted for awhile and I eventually got to hold the baby. Kevin all of a sudden snapped his fingers and exclaimed "I know how I'm going to remember his name!!!"
We asked him how and he smiled and nodded knowingly:
"Dr. Drake Remoray..."

Now, if you don't watch Friends, this is totally lost on you.
But if you do/did, you know that's the character that Joey played on the soap opera.

And it works. Drake is five years old and answers to Dr. Drake.

2 comments:

Bethany said...

Oh my gosh, how funny! I am a huge Friends fan so I got it! ;) I just found your blog but I'll be back! :)

Firegirl said...

Thanks Bethany! Welcome to my little corner of the world.