04 January 2009

Let's Do The Time Warp Again

VH-1 Classic has been running music videos all weekend. It is a glimpse of old school MTV. You know, back when it was good and they actually played music videos. They've played everything from Hendrix & Bob Marley to Goo Goo Dolls.

It's a little disorienting though. One moment I'm in high school, then I'm married to Michael then I'm thrown back into middle school. It's making my head spin!

I think I've mentioned before that I use music as a timeline in my life. What I've noticed over the past few days is how often a song is associated with a *boy*!

Michael has forever ruined Journey for me. Chicago too.

I just heard Lunatic Fringe (Red Rider, a Canadian band) and it reminded me of a guy I dated who was 21 and I was 16. yikes.

The Who will remind me of Matt...one of those "What were you THINKING!?!?! boys that we've all dated.

In Your Eyes, the teenage girl eternal love anthem will always make me pause and take a breath.

Even Kevin has gotten sucked in a little. I noticed one song even made him a little quiet yesterday. I am guessing it was a memory from his ex-wife. Although usually Alabama songs that make that happen. Alabama is banned from this house forever. Seriously.

But there are fun songs too. Songs that remind me of cruising, skipping school, hanging out with friends. There are songs that I hear now and think "That is complete crap, I can't believe I listened to that" and songs that I hear and like more Now than then. (The Cure)

Music has that power, I think, to change along with us. To remind us where we've been and who we used to be. It's been a fun ride.

4 comments:

Swistle said...

One of my exes ruined U2 for me. Another ruined REO Speedwagon, Barry Manilow, and Air Supply. Er, that list is kind of amusing.

Hotch Potchery said...

UB40 was wrecked by a college boy who thought after 3 weeks we should talk about getting MARRIED. Eesh. Don't tell him I married the next boy 4 months later.

Delurking after finding you through Bea.

Not Your Aunt B said...

That is the #1 reason I will never, ever, ever, ever like Desperado again. Ever. I hate that song. There are a handful of others that have been ruined too, but not as bad as that one.

Not Your Aunt B said...

Oh, but, wait! On the other hand there are songs that I am all "OH YEAH BABY!" which is funny too especially when someone asks you why you like that song and you can't really explain.