07 March 2020

Consequences of Happy Birthday Wishes

The other day was my sister's birthday.  Wait, she has a sister? you may have just thought.  I have a friend whom I call my sister.  Because when we were in high school, people SWORE we were sisters so we were all "Meh, okay, we're sisters."  She is the one who helped me disappear so we will forever be sisters.

Anyway...

I texted her happy birthday and send the social media happy birthday and didn't really think about it again.  Then I happened to bump into her wife at the grocery store.  She was buying my sister's birthday cake.  I asked where she was and she said "Oh, she's sleeping in the car."

Hmmmm...this is where the devil in my brain gets creative.

"Do you have a minute? I'll hurry and get my stuff."

She agreed and described which car they were in.

I hustled through the rest of my shopping and OF COURSE the person in front me was having troubles with all.the.things.  Member number entry, I think she paid with cash and credit, she needed a specific bag. I am not a patient human and I'm CERTAIN there were a few teenage-girl level heavy sighs.

Finally, it's my turn. I pay for my stuff and remember to get cash for Kevin.  This is where I say I don't carry a purse. I hate them.  So I put everything into the shopping bag.  It was only one bag.

I walked out into the parking lot and my sister's wife rolls up gently, stops, and unlocks the door.  My sister is awakened by the click of the lock but still isn't quite sure what's happening.  I popped open the door and loudly called out "HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!"

My sister makes me look and sound prim and proper.  She said thank you...eventually.  Just as expected.

So, happy that I got to see her and be devious, I continued on my way home.

This is Friday.  I didn't have to go anywhere on Saturday but I did have to go shopping on Sunday.  So resentfully I went the twenty minutes into town to run two errands.

And this is where Karma comes to visit.  I cannot find my debit card.  I look all the truck, through the bag, called the store. No card.  Karma.

I was able to complete one errand then had to go home, unfulfilled.  I'm laughing because I deserved this and if you remember, I was having a super weird week.  This was just right on par.

Kevin, however, is not seeing the humor in this.  "You are very calm for someone who lost her debit card" he remarks two or three times.  I had called the store, I had checked our account, and I had looked everywhere.  It was gone, there was nothing to be done.

On Monday at lunch I went and ordered a new card.  "It happens all the time" the bank human reassures me.

The rest of the week was okay but I had to remember how to use cash.  I never, ever, have cash on me so it was an adjustment for sure.  I don't pay attention to how much coffee costs, I had to walk inside the gas station, I ran out by Thursday.  I was a mess. 

Karma.

Happy Birthday, sister. It was totally worth it.


No comments: