28 March 2020

Let's Play Barbershop

I just finished the second week of my work quarantine and this is the third day of the state wide Stay Home decree.  So, of course I cut my hair.

Kevin started it, to sound like a grade-schooler.  Last night, unbeknownst to me, he took out his clippers and started cutting his hair.  I learned this when I heard him, with a tone of panic/regret, call out for me to help.

I walk into the bathroom to OMG, hair everywhere.  Bless his heart, he had plugged the sink so it wouldn't go down the drain and had pulled up the rug.  Nonetheless, there was still hair on every surface.  I guess I have nothing but time on my hands now so add this to the list.  He tried.

He needed help trimming the back, where he couldn't quite reach.  I have never, ever, done this so I am immediately anxious.  He demonstrates by zipping the clippers through his hair like nothing could ever go wrong.

I took a breath and began to trim his hair.  This is where I say he has Perfect Hair.  Like, seriously.  It's thick and soft and always lays in place.  So the goal was to just make it even.  I tried my best then gave the clippers back to him.  He continued then stopped to make sure there wasn't any thin spots or weirdness.

This is where I find myself combing my fingers through his hair like some kind of stylist to make sure it was even.  I asked him to just stop for now and look at it again in the morning, before he gets any more impulsive than he currently was.

Of course he ignored me. As I would have, if situations were reversed. (stay tuned)  I had to walk away because this whole thing was giving me anxiety.  I got the broom, dustpan and whisk broom and brought it back into the bathroom.

He had gotten into the shower to rinse everything off, leaving the bathroom a wreck.  I started to try to process how in the name of Where's Waldo I was going to clean this up when he said "No, I'm getting the shop vac."   That's a start but I knew it wouldn't get everything.  And hair is one of those items, like styrofoam, that keeps showing up days later.

This is just the sink portion, omitting the other sink and the floor

True to his word, he cleaned it up as best as he could.  I cleaned the bathroom this morning and it wasn't terrible.

And his hair is freaking perfect.  Boys have it so easy.

I was overdue for a haircut when this adventure began two weeks ago.  I've already trimmed my hair on the sides, where bangs used to was.  Tendrils, they're called but that sounds so Romance Novel.  The burnt portions of my hair are still growing back in but mostly everything has returned to normal. I no longer have Ed Grimley bangs.

ed grimley | Martin short, I love to laugh, Snl skits

While we were watching television, I googled how to cut your own hair.  Of course right now, there are all kinds of current posts/videos of how to do just that.  I watched a handful of them, found the most common way to do it, and set the intention of doing it in the morning.

I was actually a little excited to try this when I woke up this morning.  I think maybe that's an effect of being home for two weeks. Kevin had left to take Lucy to get treats and us coffee. So I knew I had about fifteen minutes of peace and quiet to finish this.  No pressure.

I showered, brushed out my hair and followed the directions from the videos. (How To) Deep breath and cut, cut, cut.  I took off about two inches.  I was tempted to take off more but followed the advice I gave Kevin last night to just wait to see how it turns out.

It's not awful.  It's not perfect.  I am satisfied, for sure.  I will probably also do some more tomorrow.

My hair is baby hair, super fine and not thick.  So a mistake is easily noticeable.  However, I remembered that I still have a chunk of hair growing back from the whole fire adventure.  I was prepared to see unevenness, highlighting that fact.  But Viola!  It's not bad:
(Swistle, this is a different photo than I sent you.
This is completely dry hair and sans toilet in the background, lol)

I will try it again tomorrow or in a few days.  It's still longer than I prefer but now is not the time for drastic experimentation.  And yes, it's time to color my hair again.  There's no hurry there, I am not seeing anyone for another four weeks.

A fun game to play if you're bored: google your first name and glamour shots then click images tab. You will not be disappointed:


2 comments:

Swistle said...

It really looks great, and the video seems really good. Did you do the "three elastics ponytail in the back" method or the "bring it into a ponytail at the front" method or the "bring it forward and cut it diagonally" method?

Surely said...

Oh, yeah. Forgot that part. Brushed it forward, pony tail, then cut above the pony tail.

Tomorrow I will probably do more PLUS the angled bit.

Kevin just learned I did this and immediately went into a flop sweat. LOL.