26 March 2020

It's Only Been Four Days - A WFH Update

Okay, this is the third day of actually working from home.  Monday was a wash because it was all moving, set-up, and design.  Tuesday and Wednesday were mildly successful.  Now know that the bar is set pretty low:  I am hilariously required to work No Less Than Twenty Minutes and No More Than Two Hours Per DAY.  How that timeline was derived, I have no idea. And yes: hashtag/blessed.

The first two days I did okay with keeping a schedule, as much as my alphabet brain will allow.  Today, though, man, I am on the struggle bus.

I slept in more than usual.  I think it was a little bit of crash after Monday and the anticipation of the Stay Home, Stay Healthy decree.  And it's raining again.  Because of course it is.

Eating remains a problem.  I have forgotten to eat every single day today.  Coffee consumption, however, is On Point.  I usually get hungry around 2:00 and then debate eating a meal versus just a snack because dinner will be soonish.  I have to figure this out.  I'm thinking an alarm on my phone at noon-ish.  And YES, I KNOW, it's a ridiculous problem to have.

Two issues that will be ongoing are: Kevin and Lucy.  Lucy wants in, then out, then in, then out.  I can leave the door cracked so she can come in but she comes in like a Navy Seal so the door is left wide-open if I am not paying attention (because Working).  This will work itself out, it's just annoying.

Kevin is going to have to figure out that for right now Home does not Equal Available.  Bless his heart, he's got a LOT on his plate right now but after the FOURTH Call today, my patience had waned. There might have been tone. Okay, there WAS tone.  Unfortunately, for me, this call was legitimate because the parents needed something.  Sigh...

Again, this is a good problem to have. Because Waaahhh, my husband calls me during the day to check in.

I did not realize that my work computer has a Focus Assist app.  I am considering setting it up for the whopping two hours a day that I am working.  It's just too easy to scroll on over to the interwebs on a regular day, let alone while working at home.  See: Exhibit A: this post

I am enjoying the posts on social media, seeing how people have configured makeshift workstations, and complaining about their "coworkers" (children, pets, spouses), and the struggle to find a normal. I have wondered how the transition is going to go when we all have to return to our actual workplaces.  AND how many of us actually WILL return to our workplaces.

For instance, I am finding that 90% of my job CAN be done while at home.  5% of the missing percentage can be fixed and the remaining 5% is that pesky required personal interactions.  So, if I find a groove and make this successful, then a person wonders about negotiating working from home forever.

But it's been four days, out of six plus weeks.  I should probably relax at this point.  And remember to eat.


Supervisor would like to have a word with you

No comments: