31 March 2020

Now Taking Appointments - Barbershop Update

Okay, I am going to have to hide the scissors and clippers. We are drunk with power over here.

Today is the first day in three days that I haven't taken scissors to my hair.  I am willing myself to leave my hair alone EVEN THOUGH MY TENDRILS STILL NEED TRIMMING.  (it's still a ridiculous word: tendrils)

Sigh.

Kevin used the shears again on his hair.  It turned out, of course, perfect and we hate him a tiny bit.   It was longer than he liked it so now that he was feeling brave, he trimmed it shorter. 

He wondered aloud "Like, is it good enough that I don't have to pay to get my haircut?"  Remarkably, YES. It is good enough.  Boys have it so easy.

I did my first big cut on Sunday...what day is it, even?...  Swistle asked which method I used and I felt silly that I left that most important part out.  But of course I did, because I am me.

I did the pony method first.  I brushed it over my head, gathered it at the peak of my forehead and gathered it again about three inches from the ends. (this one was in a different video so a little false reporting there. Well done, me) 

It looked okay.  But as the day wore on, because I have baby hair, it was getting static-y and tangled, like when it's been layered.  (which is almost what has happened)

And OMG, Kevin went into flopsweat when I told him I cut my hair.  He mentioned that it looked nice and I said thanks, I just cut it.  Dude had panic in his eyes.  Made me LAUGH because, you know: Fair.  Now he knows how I felt when he asked for my help.  Sometimes Karma is instant.

The next morning, I did the two pony thing and it's not as easy as it looks.  Or I was just overly-anxious about it.  You try and decide which. 

Because parting my hair on top of my head is easy.  To continue the part in the back though is a hand-eye coordination skill I do not possess.  I did the best that I could and then had the same hand-eye coordination problem with angling the scissors.

This is where I do say that I am ambidextrous.  In this situation, that came in handy.  (Ha! PUN!)  It was the actual measuring and angling that I struggled with.  Finally I turned away from the mirror and just committed.  Because I realized that I can just blunt cut it again if I screwed it up. 

It's so much better!  I'm so happy that I did it.  And yes, of course I want to do MORE.  But eventually I will run out of hair and have to move.

1 comment:

Swistle said...

I cut Paul's hair this weekend. (I set him up out in the driveway, to avoid the hair-all-over-the-sink thing.) I was planning to cut my own, but it did that thing hair does when it knows you have an appointment: it turned out perfect and was easy to comb. So then I didn't cut it after all.