20 March 2020

Like Reading Old Diaries

I have a back-up email account that I use for stuff that I know is going to generate spam or when I need anonymity. It's SUPER rare that I check it.  Today was one of those days. BECAUSE I HAVE TIME ON MY HANDS.

I had to cancel a subscription that I set up for one of my nephew's Christmas presents.  I forgot the email password and had to reset it.  Then I had to swim through all the spam, ads, and stuff to actually find what I needed.

As I scrolled through my inbox, I noticed the dates. It goes as far back as 2007.  Holy Buckets.  Nothing like a little time travel when the world already feels upside down.

So, I liberally hit the delete button and read a few emails and wondered why I had emails with photos attachments. It occurred to me that this was before google photos, etc.  My solution way back then was to email photos to myself.  Well, add that to my To-Do list: save or cull photos.

This reminded me that my niece was just telling us that she had switched from an android phone back to an apple phone.  To her utter dismay, apple - in all of it's wisdom - downloaded all of her data from her previous apple phone from 2011.  Yikes.

She said it was like finding and reading old diaries. There were texts, messages, photos.  She said it was embarrassing, and sad, and a little fun.  I am feeling the same while browsing through those old emails.  And it just occurred to me that I didn't look through the Sent Folder.  Yikes. B.R.B.

Yep, it's like reading old diaries for sure.  Emails to friends long gone, work emails and personal emails that made me forget just exactly how much 2003-2009 SUCKED.  Like epically, Gone With the Wind level sucked.  Finding emails for payment arrangements, loans, medical records, work stuff, personal drama.  It makes me remember that as much as being home for six weeks is not fun, those years were So Much Worse.  Perspective gained.

On the other hand, I found emails from internet friends that I had forgotten I had (the emails, not the friends) it's where I originally had bloggity stuff directed to so I could see the beginnings of this whole adventure.  The photos are fun to see too.  (adding those to my to-do list)

So, if you're stuck at home for an extended period of time like me, this is either a suggestion or a dire warning.  Do with it as you will.


No comments: