22 March 2020

Like Finding Gold

Yesterday I went to pick up a grocery order.  Thank all the gods that I started doing that way before it was cool.  First though, I had to stop at another grocery store and go inside.  It's the higher-end store where I buy produce and bakery goods.

First off, it's Spring but the weather is still moody.  As I got out of the truck, I felt my chest start to tighten and I thought "I can't cough. I Can't cough. I can't COUGH."  It subsided and I continued into the store with that fun little mantra.

The deli person is always so nice and I chatted with her from a safe distance.  Picked up my fruits and vegetables then went to the canned goods to pick up some stuff for the in-laws.

As I came to the end of the aisle, there was a young man standing there looking befuddled.  He was late teens-early twenties at the most.  "I...I just like FOUND this...?"  I looked at what he was holding and it was a 4-pack of brand name toilet paper.

He was stunned. "It was just sitting right here." he gestures to the end cap.

"Well, it's your lucky day. Take it. Someone left it for you.  Like a leprechaun, a toilet paper leprechaun."

He was hesitant.  He wasn't sure he should take it.  "Dude, take it. Take it and run. You found it."

Still he hesitated.  Bless his heart.  I continued walking away and hoped he would take it.  And wondered why it was left, randomly on an end cap and no where near where the paper goods aisle was located.

I picked up one more thing then thought "I will go look and see if there is any toilet paper stocked."

AND THERE WAS.

The store hadn't even stocked the shelves but left the shipping boxes on the floor and open.  The brand names were all gone but the store brand was plentiful.

I have to admit that I did feel relief upon seeing it.  I mean it's ridiculous on a whole new level that toilet paper is a COMMODITY.  The inability to get it was worrisome though.  There was sign that stated "No more than two per customer" so I took two.  I was thinking one package for us and one for the in-laws.

Around the corner comes the young gentleman. "Oh, you had the same idea I had!"  Followed by: "Oh look! There IS more. I CAN take this."  Again, bless his heart.  He gave me a little faith in humanity and made me want to call his parents to tell them what a fine young man they've raised.

I went to check out and people were mostly, kinda, doing the six-foot rule.  It's such a simple thing to do that I don't understand how people don't do it IN THE NORMAL WORLD.  Personal Space, people.

The store installed giant sneeze shields, like you see on salad bars. I was impressed with their proactiveness.  I asked the cashier what she thought and she confessed that she loved it.  "Even without the flu going around...(she lowers her voice)...sometimes people are so rude and ... (lowers her voice even more)...they don't have nice smelling breath."

"Well, I am Team Leave Them Up after this.  It only makes sense to keep people safe."

I left and loaded the groceries in the back of the truck.  This is where I say that the straps from towing it were still in the back so it looked like I was prepared to transport a body, which made me laugh.

After parking at the pick-up center, I went and tried to organize the back of the truck so I could fit the incoming groceries. I actually HID the toilet paper on the second backseat of the truck.  I felt silly doing so but Nothing is Normal Right Now.

There was a little vindication when the delivery boy mentioned how weird people are being.  He said "It probably wasn't a bad idea to keep that out of sight."  We are living in the End Times, sheesh.

Last stop...shush, I am social distancing...I picked up dinner at a Mexican restaurant we love.  How weird it is to stand in the middle of a usually super busy restaurant and it's EMPTY.  I tipped heavily and thanked them for being open.  They were very grateful for the business so GO GET TAKE OUT, PEOPLE!

Finally, I arrive home. Kevin is excited about the toilet paper as if I had just brought him home a new puppy or car parts.  "It's dumb how excited I am about this" he says.

"Well, one pack is for your parents and the other is for us."

He stops, thinks.  "How about...and I feel bad about this...we keep both?  So we have it and then we'll share if we need to."  He is warring with himself over toilet paper.  Sigh.

"That's fine."  I'm not going to debate this and spin him out anymore than he already is doing to himself.

"Well, Brother & Sister say they have plenty so everyone is take care of. If it comes to that." He offers.

"That's fine." I reply.

"Now, where do we put it? It feels like we should HIDE it." He laughs.

"GO OUTSIDE." I tell him, laughing.

So, that's how it's going here at Surely's house. A little faith in humanity, takeout Mexican food is good, and we have toilet paper.


1 comment:

Gigi said...

I know what you mean about hiding it. I lucked into a 12 pack of toilet paper today and was fully expecting to be mugged for it at 10:30 am in the Target parking lot!