16 May 2020

It's Not Easy Being Green - An Update

With the End Times happening, I've thought a little more than usual about using stuff, reusing what I can, and recycling.  It occurred to me that I hadn't updated my Being Green Quest for a while.

Here's where we are:

I just spent about thirty minutes consolidating nearly-empty shampoo and conditioner containers into one.  I use pantene products and it's amazing how much is left behind in an "empty" container.  It requires patience and attention span that I don't normally possess but today was the day.  Then I recycle the empty containers and try not to think about how many I threw away, not knowing they were recyclable. 

Plastic bags for Kevin's lunch is...better.  I think that's just going to be a little bit of a fail for me.  I do use snack bags instead of sandwich bags.  So, that's....less.  The higher-end grocery store had really nice sandwich sized tupperware style boxes. I bought one and used it without mentioning it to Kevin. (he's not a fan of change)  

It was like a week later when I finally asked. To my surprise, he was all "I love it!"  So I bought another one.  He eats lunch on the go so it's a challenge to find those kinds of things that will work for him.  I mention the ones from the higher-end grocery store because they seal so well. Versus the dollar-store ones that you see.  It's one of those things that feels like it's worth spending more.

I can't remember the last bottled water I bought.  As someone who used to drink Coke like it was going out of business, it's weird that now you will almost always see me with a water bottle instead.

Then I started thinking about cleaners.  I started using vinegar to clean our engineered floors.  Kevin is not a fan because of the smell.  I am a fan because it works well and there is no residue that other cleaners leave behind.  

Marketers will convince us that we need a specific cleaner for every single surface.  I'm trying to dial that back a bit.  I have had zero success with glass cleaner alternatives so I use Sprayway, which works so well.  Meaning it's probably horrible.  (don't tell me)

I'm starting to look into the organic cleaners and right now, use Simple Green as an all purpose cleaner.  I rarely - until the End Times - used the disinfectant wipes.  They just end up as landfill so I have to squash my guilt when I'm disinfecting door knobs and the such.

I've mentioned before that the contractor who built this house said to use shampoo to clean your fiberglass shower and tubs.  I do that regularly then use something a little more industrial monthly, otherwise there is a grunge thing that happens.

Baking soda and Dawn soap is MAGIC on many things.  MAGIC.  Scratches on your white ceramic sink?  Stains?  Slow drains?  FIXES them.  See also: grungy shower floor.

I have the tendency to be heavy-handed with products. I think it's an attention span thing and frankly, lack of parenting showing me how to do things.  The point being: there are dosages? is that the word?  Uses doesn't seem correct.  Whatever.  My point: there are actual instructions on things.  Also, I tend to use less than recommended, with the same results.

In the garden, I don't use chemicals at all.  Kevin will use weedkiller if I don't pay attention.  He's trying to be helpful so I can only throw small rocks at him.  Right now I'm just using manpower to get rid of the weeds.  I'm hearing that vinegar will help but I haven't tried that just yet.  

For our groceries, I use reusable bags.  Now with the End Times and grocery pickup, I have to remember to designate "Paper bags, please" on my order.  Otherwise, we get an eleventy-dozen plastic bags for one grocery order.  When I got stuck with them before, I would just collect them then drop them off in the recycle bin at the store.  Now I have a childhood friend on the facebook who posts when the food banks need bags.  I drop them off at her office and everyone is a winner.  So, check that out with your local food banks.

Years ago, a client at my old work gave me a huge stack of scratch paper made from paper grocery bags.  They are surprisingly handy.  So, if you're bored at home like the most of us now, there's a simple project to contemplate.



2 comments:

Swistle said...

I love all of this.

You told me that cleaning-the-shower/tub-with-shampoo thing a number of years ago and I still do it!

I remember learning somewhere that the laundry detergent scoop was not meant to be filled to the top. I mean, it's marked with little lines, so I guess I should have known. But on the other hand, it's not marked very obviously. The laundry detergent company is clearly ALL GOOD with people assuming they're supposed to fill it; otherwise they would include a correctly-sized scoop.

Also: TELL ME MORE ABOUT BAKING SODA AND DAWN AND SLOW DRAINS

Gigi said...

Vinegar will work wonders on glass. And, if you wanted, you could add an essential oil to help mask the odor. Tell me more about using shampoo to clean the shower...does it help with the scum on the glass?

I heartily agree on the Dawn and baking soda (or, Bar Keepers Friend) being magic.

My husband uses a baking soda vinegar combo on the slow drains.