05 May 2020

Why We Can't Just Go Back to Normal Yet - A Rant

The Stay Home Order for Washington State was extended until into June.  Unlike before, I am not focused on or even aware of the exact expiration date this time.  It feels like it is going to get extended again and I just can't get invested again. 

So, of course, up pops status updates and memes about how our governor is terrible, doesn't know what he's doing, "Why can't we go back to normal" tantrums, etc. 

*exasperated sigh*  *pushing up my sleeves*  *removing my earrings*

Firstly, our state is part of a Western States Pact that agrees on the steps moving forward so we're not doing this All Over Again in the Fall. (hopefully) So that's FOUR STATES leaders whom all agreed on a plan built from information and caution.  Thank you Oregon, California, Colorado and Nevada for helping keep us humans alive.

(Read in sarcasm font)  I just love  how people are just So Much smarter than a person who has experts in the field telling them what to do.  How much smarter the person is who only listens to one source of "news" than oh, anyone else.  How much smarter than most of the world's leaders who are doing the exact same thing.  How nice it must be to not be scared that one of our loved ones is going to become ill or worse.

I mentioned to Swistle that I feel like I should wear a sign or a t-shirt that says "I'm wearing mask to protect me, my husband AND my elderly parents"  or "I have asthma, not the Plague."

Then I was thinking about this whole thing and made a list. I know: you're shocked that I made a list.

I have asthma  (because I ignored a cold and didn't go to the doctor in time. So I am Exhibit A of Consequences, actually)
Kevin has an auto-immune disease
Kevin's parents are elderly and medically fragile
My mom is elderly and now also medically fragile
The Nephew has an auto-immune disease
One of the triplets has juvenile rheumatoid arthritis
TWO of my best friends have children who are immune-compromised (one kid, one adult)
One of Kevin's best friends is on the list for a kidney transplant because of an auto-immune disease

These people are Why We Just Can't Go Back to Normal. 

Because no haircut, or dinner, or birthday party is worth killing one of them. 

Or if there is a person who disagrees: You choose which on that list you would like to die. Actually, choose a few because that's HOW THIS WORKS.

Now, to offset the rant:
A shout-out to Ang for offering to make and send me a mask. That is just so kind and thoughtful and I love you for it.

Another shout out to BFF K for sending me a mask as a surprise and making me think that I had ghost shopped on Etsy.  You really are the bestest.

As much as this post doesn't sound like I believe this, there is good in the world.  I like to think that the good shouts down the dumb and bad.  And that's why I'm yelling right now. 

Now, wash your hands, wear your mask, stay home as much as you can. Ignore the dumb people.  We can't go back to normal yet.  Yet.

1 comment:

Gigi said...

Yes, there is good in the world. Unfortunately, the idiots seems to shout louder.

NC is set to re-open in "phases" - which aren't drastic, but still seem too fast for me.

If you can - stay home. If you must go out; wear a mask, social distance and wash your hands. Is that too much to ask, really?