04 January 2010

You Remember that Girl?

The slightly nerdy one...kind of Tracy Flick-ish...the one that is smart but not Mensa smart, although she'd like you to think she is. The one that So Badly wants to be part of whatever is going on that she inserts herself into conversations uninvited. Then has to show off how smart she is?

Or the girl that knows how to do everything better than you. No matter what, she would have done it differently, better, quicker. You can bet that whatever it is, she's done it or could do it. It never fails that she happens along when things Are going poorly thus proving her perception that you're an idiot.

Or the girl that is constantly immersed in melodrama. There's simply not ever a moment of peace with her. Someone broke up with her, someone she knows is dying (but often just has the flu) and everything is personal. Catherine Zeta Jones character on America's Sweethearts has a line in the movie that reminds me of this girl: "I saw a baby in the store and it was judging me. Looking at me and judging me." Everything is a drama with this girl.

The brilliance of the movie Mean Girls is that those archetypes actually exist. One hopes that upon leaving high school, the melodrama stops. I've found, sadly, it does not.

In fact, I think it may be more difficult to deal with these people as adults than as teens. As adults there is no avoiding them as simply as sitting at a different lunch table or taking different classes. Instead, we have to figure out how to cope. Mean Girls are everywhere: work, church, community groups, and sadly sometimes even in our own families.

I keep bumping into Mean Girls, no matter my age. Is there a lesson I'm not learning? Is there something I was missing? However, BFF's C, D, & K have confirmed that they too keep bumping into Mean Girls. Being adults don't make us immune to Mean Girls. As much as we'd like, not all Mean Girls don't grow out of it. They just seem to get better at it.

So what to do? I don't have any concrete advice. I wish I did. How do you cope with Mean Girls?

3 comments:

Not Your Aunt B said...

Mean Girls grow into Mean Women. Well, they physically grow into women & behave the same way because they don't mature or grow personally into something better.
I am polite, avoid anything but a very superficial relationship with them and stick with true friends or people I can trust.
Good luck!

Swistle said...

I cry, drink, and lie awake at night obsessing about it.

I'm your SENSIBLE friend, right?

creative kerfuffle said...

i'd like to think i handle them as well as bea does, but sadly i don't. i usually bitch to my friends about them and try my best to avoid them. why are women so mean to each other?