26 January 2010

Iowa or New Mexico?

Kev and I have been muttering about moving elsewhere again. This happens every once in a while with us. It's mostly a pipedream. Until our parents pass it won't happen, if even then.

Despite the paragraph above, I love living here in Washington State. I love the green, most days I love the rain, I like being near the ocean, the forest, the mountains. I've been other places but I usually like home best. However, I would still like to experience living elsewhere.

Kevin would prefer a warm climate, he's very happy in Vegas. He would also consider living where there are actual seasons. Here we have three seasons, really: rainy, sunny, and sometimes winter. He says that he wouldn't mind winter if it were actually cold & snowy consistently.

I agree that I would enjoy distinct seasons. I know that I wouldn't enjoy a hot climate, I'm just not built that way. So there is some agreement between the two of us.

While not sleeping, I've thought of different places we could live. In the car world, it seems like the Midwest is the place to be. Parts of the East Coast is also an option. I would love to live in the New England area, nearer to BFF K.

It occurred to me that I couldn't live in a red state (sorry Bea, and other red-staters!) Washington state is a liberal state and I've become spoiled by that. As I don't see my role in the world to be an activist, it just doesn't seem like a good idea.

We also agree: no living where there are tornadoes. This is a dealbreaker, even though we have family in Kansas and Missouri.

Kevin prefers small towns & country. City living is not an option for him, not even the suburbs. I also don't care for cities but I think I could cope in suburbia.

Alas, this is simply pondering. But it is fun to imagine where we would live in a different world or time. Perhaps we can be snowbirds one day.

What state would you move to, if given the chance? Or have you moved to a different state? How did you decide?

5 comments:

Not Your Aunt B said...

No offense to me! The Bible belt is called that for a reason, so you gotta consider that when making a move. I always think I could live almost anywhere, then "winter" comes- we had a week where temps were in the 20/30s and I decide I need to move further south to like Cancun or Costa Rica because it is too cold for me.

creative kerfuffle said...

the hubs and i have this discussion once in awhile. we're both army brats and have now lived in nc longer than either of us has ever lived in our lives. we've been here 17 yrs. since losing my job we have toyed around more w/ the idea of moving. he would love to move to arizona (he lived there before we met in high school) but i need more seasons than that. he hates cold and snow and ice so i don't think i could get him further north than nc. personally i think i'd love new england or the pac northwest.

Daydream Believer said...

I am not a good winter driver, which is why I hate upstate New York. After we are married in July, my husband and I will be relocating to either Colorado, Washington state (maybe we'll be neighbors!!!), or North Carolina. All three states have their advantages and disadvantages, so I don't know. I always dream of warm winters (maybe Arizona??) and cool summers, like in Maine or Vermont. Oh, the places I'd go...

Surely said...

@Bea - Ugh, I hadn't completely considered The Bible Belt part. I immediately think of Footloose. Ugh.


@CK & Jamie: The Pacific Northwest is wonderful! Don't get me wrong. Mild winters (usually) and perfectly lovely summers. C'mon up!

NC is on my list of places to see. (:-D

Daydream Believer said...

Well, should we move to NC, you will most definitely have a place to stop by and visit. I brew a mean cup of coffee!!