13 August 2019

Pink Hair, Don't Care

The kids stopped by for a visit today.  Kid's being Niece, Nephew and their son Gregory (pseudonym because OMG there are so many of them)

It's just so nice to have grown-up conversations and just hang.  I say this to folks with teens: Wait for it.  I still remember wanting to murder them when they were younger but now they're someone I am proud to hang out with.

Gregory went to his first Pride a few weekends ago.  His mom posted photos and I was surprised yet pleased to see Gregory as he probably feels the most comfortable.  His hair is magenta pink, worn down, he had full face makeup, and just looked so happy and relaxed.  He makes for a super cute girl.

I am unsure if he's going to identify as non-binary or transgender.  I think he's not sure quite yet. He's mid-teens so he has time to figure it all out.  I'm fine either way.  Healthy and happy is all I want for those kids.

His grandparents, however, are not going to be so understanding.  This frustrates me to no end and makes me want to be EXTRA open to compensate.  The other kids (adult and kids) don't care, I don't think they even notice really.  He's just Gregory.  I think the great grandparents are fine too, they might not understand really but it would never occur to them to be judgy about it.

Niece was telling me how Gregory has found his tribe through the homeschool co-op that they're part of.  She kind of apologetically, at first, explained how it's the "weirdos" and I stopped her. "He's finding his people, he's building his tribe.  IT'S GOOD."  I believe she wasn't sure what my reaction would be.  Well, my reaction is "Don't Care."  Healthy and happy, that is all I want.

During the conversation today, it was mentioned that one of his friends is transitioning.  Niece expressed concern ONLY about medical/pharmaceutical intervention prior to completing puberty.  To which I whole-heartedly agree.  Let the body finish growing, then work on it.

But I noticed that when she spoke she would look at Gregory or being emphatic toward him.  This leads me to believe that there has been discussions of who he wants to be when he grows up. Again, don't care. Healthy and happy.


No comments: