29 August 2019

I Don't Know What to do with My Hands

(edited for proper punctuation, grammar, and spacing.  Sheesh, tired brain. Get it together.)

If you know me in reals, you know that I don't always have a filter.  I try, but man do I fail.

Kevin and I went to breakfast while in Canada.  We went to the unfortunately named White Spot, which is the Canada version of Denny's.  I know I've been there before but I was so tired and this was the morning after catching fire.

The waitress kept referring to smashbrown potatoes  It wasn't just smashbrowns but Smashbrown Potatoes.  It was just a little too precious for me.  When it was my time to order, she offered the variety of sides, including Smashbrown Potatoes.

"What are those, even?" I asked.

She gestured to a photo in the menu, I looked and said "Oh. Tater tots. No thanks."

Kevin rarely reacts to my mouth but he actually kind of laughed in a burst then bit it back.

"Sorry, I've had little sleep."  I so earned the ugly American moniker that morning. But at least I apologized like a proper Canadian.

The day before I had met a woman who was helping coordinate the race.  She asked where we lived and I said the town.  Then I followed with "Yeah, we're Americans.  Sorry about that."   She laughed and I continued "Two years ago we wouldn't feel the need to apologize but now.  Just accept our apologies. We're a mess."

I made the assumption she would get the joke. There are, believe it or not, supporters of the current administration up there.  But I'm to the Can't Care part of this regime.  Come at me, bro.

I was just sent a link to a video of the race we were just completed.  We were interviewed at one point and it was conducted as a surprise.  During it, all I could do was laugh.  Kevin was a little stilted but he did okay.  I really wondered how it turned out and it's not terrible.  It's not great either.  I'm just trying not to say something stupid and sitting there smiling like a loon.

The backstory of this not-saying-anything thing (which is totally unlike me) is that our friend who Kevin crews for is notoriously awkward on camera. And in real if you don't know him. So.wonderfully.awkward.

When he does interviews, he's like Ricky Bobby on Talladega Nights.  (please click the link)  This is also what I was thinking of as we were being asked questions while being filmed.

Social awkward.  It's just what I do.

No comments: