11 June 2019

Searching and A Slinky

My contract is still pending because the federal budget process etc. has been unstable and the HeadStart contracts aren't approved yet. I've been snooping through the jobs emails that I still receive. I don't really have intentions of changing jobs but with the uncertainty right now, this makes me feel a little better.

Remember when I had the temp job with the military contractor? It was totally boring but working in boy world was fun and the wage was amazing even though there were no benefits, to speak of, for a part time position.

They're hiring for that position again. It's full-time now and looks like they've fine-tuned it, made it a little more attractive to work there.  I'm still not interested in it at all.  First-thing morning meetings every.single.day, boringness beyond belief, a Michael Scott type leader. Just No.

But it was fun for a summer job, for a job that I knew had an end-date. It was fun hanging out in boy world.  It was interesting to hear about military contracts but my bleeding liberal heart did have a little conscience crisis.

Oh, and I'm not doing the freelancing thing. I don't think I ever revisited that. (squirrel!)

Because I seem to be a magnet for these things: the director quit. I was disappointed because I really liked her.  It took forever to hire someone new and in the meanwhile, they wanted more, more, more. There were issues with needing stuff while I was working at my "real job" and it just felt like whatever I said, it was ignored. Boundaries didn't seem to be their thing.

Then I found out during my contract negotiation that my job was increasing for 2019-2020 school year and I made it into an opportunity to exit stage left. Now the new person who replaced me is having the exact same issues I was having.  Validation!!

Anyway...

It would be foolish to change jobs at this point.  Other than this whole federal nonsense, it's a really good job. Other than SusyLoudPants.

OMG...this is off topic - big surprise - but I have to tell this story:

SusyLoudPants is a mentor to the teaching staff. This irony is not lost on me AT ALL.  Because the school year is coming to a close, she is at her desk all day, many days.  I have gone home early twice because it's that or an arrest record.

The other day the slinky made an appearance.  FML.  But I'm breathing through it, I have my headphones on. I'm trying to be the bigger person.

Until someone had a question and approached me.  "I had a question about..." schlink schlink schlink "We have this kiddo who needs..." schlink schlink schlink.

I gestured to wait a second.  "Ummm, Barb?"

Long beat. Slinky stops

Silence. It's starting to get awkward.

Finally, an annoyed "Yes?"

In my head, I think that would have been sufficient. If it were me, I would have self-corrected. There's no way she doesn't know what I'm about to say.  But I have to say it anyway "The slinky?"

"Yes" she replies, flatly.

Wtaf.  Sigh.

"So, I struggle with ADD as it is and that is just too much to take."

"OH."
"Well"
"I thought because *coworkers name* wasn't here, it was okay."

Wtaf times infinity.

"Yeah. No."

She did put it away but there was pouting.   And this was a day I went home early.

I'm hoping my new contract provides me a relocation.  Or a savings account for bail money. I really do have a valid reason for not signing again: "Reason for not returning: SLINKY"

Oh, wait, I know some military contractors...



No comments: