04 December 2009

Burden or Addiction

While we were on vacation, I paused all of the games I play on FB. After we returned, I left them sit for awhile longer for fear of being sucked back into farming, fishing, and the like. It's not like I'm getting up in the middle of the night to harvest squash or anything. There was some time consumption going on though.

What started as an innocent game has turned into five farms (including Kevin's) and one fish tank. I know, I know, don't judge!

Farmville, FarmTown, and MyFarm. It all started with MyFarm, which I am partial too, it's just so simple. But then there's FarmTown, it has flowers that need tending! Then now arrives FarmVille with it's animals that need tending. OMG.

I quietly started these games with no intention of interacting or competing or anything. The wonder of Facebook, however, is that there are no secrets. Soon, I'm getting gifts and requests for help. This is much more of a commitment than I wanted! Be My Neighbor! Fertilize My Crops! I just sent you a gift!

Not to be ungrateful, but some of the gifts that are sent. Ugh. A blue flag. A fence panel. Items that have nothing to do with anything. I just want to post back "Have you even LOOKED at my farm?"

But then I'm the one that sent banana trees with the verse from the Gwen Stefani "Hollaback Girl" lyrics. ("this sh*t is bananas...b.a.n.a.n.a.s")

Then there's farm envy. Some of my friends farms are so cool. Beautiful rivers, gardens, themes. I've discovered that I am very utilitarian. Just the crops, ma'am. Nothing that is superfluous.

The newest game is FishWorld. I started it because I can use it as a screensaver, sorta. So far, so good with this game I've gone undetected. With one exception. A "friend" from high school keeps stealing fish. Irritating.

Most of my friends play Mafia Wars and I'm sorry, it's too difficult to figure out. And just boring to me. I haven't tried Bejeweled Blitz, on purpose. I tried Scramble and got bored. I tried Farkle and will return to that when I'm bored. You see the theme, right?

But the farms, oh the farms. I'm in serious like with my farms.

What games do you play on Facebook? Want to be friends? (kidding!...or am I?)

4 comments:

Swistle said...

I was very big on Lil Green Patch for awhile, and on the one where you own a dog and care for it, I forget what it's called. Fluff Friends has been my most enduring interest. When they have a hunt, I lose my mind---or my free time, anyway.

creative kerfuffle said...

my name is creative kerfuffle and i am a farmville/farmtown/mafia wars/vampire wars addict.
it started w/ mafia wars. then i got on those damn farms. omfg. i sort of liked farm town better for awhile (though i prefer the other's graphics) and spent hours, hours! working on other people's farms to get points to level up. i have suffered farm envy too. then, when farmville introduced the flowers and the fertilizing and the seasonal gifts i freaking fell in love. it is bad. i am not as bad as i was a few months ago, but, still bad.

Firegirl said...

OMG, I just spied a zoo game. Looking away! looking away, do not make eye contact. OMG.

Not Your Aunt B said...

Not a farmer here. But it has a lot of my friends addicted too.