26 December 2009

What defrock?


During lunch today, Kevin asked "So, when are you taking the tree down?"

This is a tradition in our marriage. Every year for nineteen years, I've heard that question on the 26th.

Above is a lovely arrangement that was on the coffee table. The little Santa is a candle that is probably as old as I am. I nipped him from my parents house years ago. The ornaments are from a Target Christmas Tree that was donated to the school years ago. They weigh about two pounds each so can't be hung on our tree but I love them so. The books are holiday books that I bring out for the season. I am halfway through the one on top and I've read all of them except Skipping Christmas. It is my annual Christmas FAIL.

Other than the tree, the house is officially defrocked. I'm doing some redecorating as I go as we were given four family pictures for Christmas. I was going to rearrange the pictures in the hallway (Hi Creative Kerfuffle!) but Kev likes them on the entertainment center. New plan = taking all the pictures off the entertainment center and replacing them one-by-one until I'm satisfied with the arrangement.

Also, I am adding dashes of red to the living room as I'm growing tired of the earth tones. I'm also hoping to paint over the next two months or so. I know, it's not the traditional interior painting season but one racing starts, it's game over for any other activities.

I'm not sure how long I'll keep the tree up. It's a matter of days, just be clear, not oh, February.
My mom used to keep the tree up until the New Year, stating that it was bad luck to take it down sooner. Lately, I've not kept up that tradition and found no change in our luck. (:-D

Meanwhile, I've got to tackle this now:

Pile of clothes on desk need to be exchanged. Pile on right of screen is wrapping from Hell. Decorations scattered about are waiting to be boxed up . Notice: no dog on the dog bed. She considers this Her Room & is irritated when I'm in there so she's outside with Kevin. I may plug the Santa light next to her bed just to remind her who makes the house payment. (no, not Santa)

When do you defrock the house? How long do you keep the tree?

1 comment:

Not Your Aunt B said...

I must be a total slacker in most people's books as we don't take down any Christmas decorations until Jan 6 (the Epiphany or 3 kings day, as we call it). Where else am I gonna put the 3 kings day presents?