10 November 2019

I Can't Just Choose



My friend L tagged me in on a facebook post, requesting to list our seven favorite books.  At first I was excited, I would have no problem with this list.

Then time went by and I hadn't listed any books yet.  I have photos on my phone of three books but I hadn't yet chosen the remaining four.  Finally I posted "It's like choosing your favorite child" and a promise to follow through.

Now it's been EVEN LONGER  and I've only added one more book to the list.  Sigh.

Okay, *pushing up sleeves* I can do this.

My all-time favorite children's book. I still reread it from time to time

The very first "grown-up" book that I read. As you can see, it's been read a few times

This book I read with no expectations and it's one that I still think of from time to time.
It's become more relevant in today's political climate.







As Elizabeth Berg's book have a tendency to do, this one cracked my head open a bit.
I read it in one sitting and helped clarify perspective in growing up in a tumultuous family



I understand that Howard isn't everyone's cup of tea. However, he is the best
interviewer that I have ever listened to or watched.







BFF K recommended this book to me a long time ago.  
It's set here in the county where I live and made me a fan of Kristin Hannah















I love most of Maeve Binchy's books but this one is my favorite

The list of books I wanted to also list are below. I'm surprised at how many are non-fiction or not literature.  If you were to just ask me, I would say that I don't read non-fiction much. I based my above choices on books that I can readily recall, will read again and/or had some sort of an impact.

Honorable Mentions/I love these too/I had to only choose seven:

Any of Jenny Lawson books: Let's Pretend It Never Happened, Furiously Happy, and You Are Here.  I couldn't choose just one of her books.

Hyperbole and A Half is another good one.  More of a novelty book to me, though.

Calvin and Hobbes and The Far Side- any of those books, even though they're comic books.

Lin Manuel Miranda's G'Morning/G'Night.  I would read his grocery list and be happy.

Humans of New York and Love What Matters are amazing works of art.

Bird by Bird by Elizabeth Berg.  This book taught me more about writing than any class I have ever taken.

AND before this makes me sound all smarty-pants, know that I read anything that is written by the following: Nora Roberts, Jude Deveraux, Sarah Dessen, Alison Winn Scotch, Emily Giffin, Nicholas Sparks, Luann Rice, Sarah Addison Allen, Lisa Kleypas and a few more.  If it's a series, then I'm extra interested.

I know the MOMENT that I post this, I will think of other books that should be included.  I'm sticking with this list. Not only did it take a stupidly long time to decide, that lengthy process really did seem to narrow it down to the serious contenders.

Now you see what I'm saying?
(and it's one of five bookcases in this house) 

4 comments:

Swistle said...

I think of you EVERY TIME I shelve a Kristin Hannah book!

Also: I see my twinnies on your bookshelf!!

Surely said...

Awww, thanks. :)

And, YES, it's one of my favorite photos!

lucidkim said...

Bird by Bird - isn't that Anne Lamott? :)

Surely said...

Aarrgh...YES. I meant Escaping Into the Open. BUT Bird by Bird is excellent too. See? This is hard lol