14 November 2019

Rules? What Rules?

If you know me in reals, you know that I'm not one for rules, following directions, or really any sort of directed path.  What fun is that?

And of course I am married to a Rule Follower.  Because the universe has a sense of humor.

Or the universe is trying to keep me safe, alive, and/or out of jail.

I was thinking about this the other day.  It does seem to turn out like that: people are paired with their opposites.

One of my best friends is wired very similarly to me.  They are married to a Rule Follower.  One of my other best friends IS a rule follower and is married to their opposite.  So, my hypothesis plays.

Well then now how would I define a Rule Follower?

Do you read the instructions to the game before playing?
Do you plan trips or just go and see where life takes you?
Are you completely spun out when things don't go as they should?

I don't *usually* do any of the above.

AND, and, A.N.D. this is not judgement, just speculative...

I've noticed the differences in my life most while traveling.  Kevin is a be there early kind of guy.  He is a have a map/navigation person.  He worries about things like getting through TSA.

I do not.

We're going to get there, regardless.  To me, the option being: do we have a good story to tell or not.

Example: we went through the border a few weeks ago.  It requires I.D. not matter what.  In this instance, I am METHODICAL about where our ID's are.  Until I am not.

Before the booth, I notice that I don't have his ID.  It's not in it's usual place.  "What do we do?" Kevin asks.  "We go through and ask them" I reply.

Against his better judgement because he was breaking the rules, he approached the booth.  Now, this isn't to portray that I'm all Suzy Calm and Serene.  No, I am going through any place I can think of.  I'm  telling the border patrol that we JUST went through six days ago.

The guard laughed at us. He pulled us in, but he laughed at us.

By the time we parked, I found it.  I put it on the opposite side of his wallet because I'm guessing: tired.

But we still have to go check in with the border patrol.  We went inside and they were all "Why are you bugging us?"  We went on our way.

See? A good story to tell.

However, it's most likely important that we are paired with our opposites.  Rule followers need adventures and stories to tell.  No Rules folks need the structure.  Otherwise we'd be in jail, or broke or wandered off somewhere.  There is probably some subconscious comfort in that, as much as we equally strain against it.

No point really, other than to wonder about it.  And to tell another good border story.


1 comment:

Swistle said...

I am an airport-way-too-early person so it makes sense that we are friends. (But maybe we should not travel together.) I loved this: "We're going to get there, regardless. To me, the option being: do we have a good story to tell or not."