05 November 2019

Why Do I Have Any of This?

My house is organized because I use my powers for good.  My brain can't handle clutter at all.  It will shout down anything else and repeatedly tell me "Did you know there's stuff over there? did you know that there is stuff over there? Stuff? Over THERE?"

Kevin is similarly wired but also confusingly will leave stuff everywhere then randomly "discover" it and put it away.  Key's are the best example.  We have a key bowl by the door where, as you may guess, all of our keys go.

Often though, he will come home or in from outside and leave his keys on the counter.  Well, one of two available counters.  Sometimes he'll even set them with his wallet and knife.  Randomly.  No reason.   Then I'll put them where they belong because one of my least favorite things is the Where are my keys song.  I am guilty of dropping my own keys in my bag because my hands are full then I sing the song ten seconds before I'm leaving for work.  I am not perfect, trust me.

Or hoodies.  We have coat hooks, also by the key bowl.  If I don't pay attention, every hoodie he owns ends up on those hooks and we're singing "I can't find my hoodie" song.  I sing the "Where did I leave my shoes" song.

So, anyway...not the point and off topic. Go figure.

I have two places in this house that are allowed to be unruly.  One is our version of a junk drawer.  It's a cupboard where in the early 2000's our landline telephone and answering machine lived.  (how WEIRD is that?)  First it held the telephone BOOK and office stuff.  Then we added tools.  Then we added batteries. Until finally there is the box of random stuff that a household accumulates.

Yes, I recognize that even the "messy' basket of junk is organized.
A short list:
Three nightlights
Hoodie strings
Filter for the old refrigerator
Coat hooks
Command strips
Wicks for kerosene lamps
Faucet handles
Random gaskets, screws and caps
4 foot long television cable (because every house has one)
Key rings and a carabiner
Door stop
Light switch covers
Toilet repair kits
Bracket for the new refrigerator that I don't remember where it goes
Non-skid fabric that I was looking for earlier this summer and couldn't find.

To  be fair, the junk cupboard is "organized" in the way that it's thrown into a tub.  If we end up with extra parts, in that tub it goes.  Because invariably we will toss something in the garbage then a week later we will need it. Kevin also has a way of buying two of everything because "we'll need it eventually."  As much as this used to make me crazy, it's saved us a time or two.

Basket 'o junk not pictured because it's waiting for Kevin to decide it's fate
Our tools are in a separate box.  Yes, we have household tools separate from the shop tools, truck tools, and trailer tools.  Kevin's OCD matches my own; specific tools for specific tasks and areas. Batteries are in another box because I hate not having batteries when we need them.

And yes, that is A LOT of candles.  Two things: we live where the power goes out so candles are good to have and they don't go bad.  (also: that's why we have wicks for kerosene lamps)  Candles fall into the category of "Oh, you like candles? Here are tens of them for the next consecutive birthdays")

So, as much as someone might look at that and be wistful that it's organized or that we have an empty cupboard that will allow for such a thing, know that this cupboard gives me the agita most days.

No comments: