07 November 2019

Poison Pills

Over the weekend my f-i-l was bent out of shape because some of their pills drew moisture and are unusable.  He phoned the company that delivers them and he was unhappy with their conversation.

Because: of course.

So, I took photos of the meds and emailed the company.  They contacted me this morning via email and then phone.  They were LOVELY.  And obviously, they are used to this kind of issue.

The pills are from June and July.  They are considered expired.  We are in October (November by the time of this post) for those of you doing the math.

This is where I am aggressively tapping my head for not being more investigative and for accepting the problem at face value.

The company rep was actually more concerned as to WHY they were using, essentially, expired pills.  Was it a financial thing?  Did they make a mistake? These are Very Good Questions.  I apologized for bothering them, thanked her profusely for being so kind, and then called Kevin; who was equally frustrated.  I mean, c'mon.

I offered to handle it, instead of leaving it up to him. He is pretty much at his limit. The plan was to just go over as soon as I got home.  Then pulling up the drive, past their house, and I just couldn't. I just wasn't up for the task.  So I went into the house with the intention of going over once I changed my attitude.

Yeah, that didn't happen. Attitude remained intact and Kevin came home first.  Sorry, Kev.

We both went over there and I didn't bother with all the detail of the above with the parents.  I just cut to the chase - which they don't enjoy about me - and asked "Why are we using expired pills?"

If you're hoping for a satisfying answer, you're going to be disappointed.  It was because: reasons.

I think they were saying that they were using the packs that hadn't been used when she was hospitalized two hospital stays ago.  Because...I don't know why.  Because.

They signed up for this program because the pills arrive every month (prepackaged) and are paid for by Medicare.  We thought this was going to be a good medicine management plan.  Again: rookie mistake.  Man, you'd think we'd figure this out by now.

I guess I understand the not being wasteful part?
I do not understand using pills that are months old.

We clearly haven't learned our lesson about being organized and methodical with the meds. Apparently (said in dripping sarcasm) a nearly fatal stroke just wasn't a big enough lesson.

AND they don't need our help.

Except when they do.





2 comments:

Gigi said...

I would think they don't want to "waste" them. Also, they may be of the same thought as my mother (and many other mother's of that time) - they had no idea that pills actually expired. Still, very frustrating I'm sure.

Surely said...

Gigi,
Yes you're exactly right. We have talked ENDLESSLY about how important it is for the meds to be routine and habit and carefully monitored. Discovering that they were using old pills shouldn't have surprised us. Yet, it did. And yes, the expiration was Brand New Information, for sure. :)