15 November 2019

The Long Haul

So, here's a positive story about my in-laws.  They're so few and far between these days.

But first, because there isn't a straight line anymore...

My mother-in-law is fading more every day. She's on the feeding tube only now, not even really drinking anything at this time.  While this has made some improvement in her overall health, her quality of life has diminished more.

Apparently there was drama next door. I do not have nor do I want the details.  Kevin just heard the tail end of it all.  He, too, did not ask.  Although they are old and failing, they still have a relationship and parts of that are none of our business.

Okay.

While doing the nightly check-in, my father-in-law told her that "We are in this for the long haul, aren't we?  don't I keep telling you that?  If something bad happens to you, it happens to me.  We are in this together, for as long as we live.  We are in this for the long haul. Together."

So, yeah, totally cried standing in the middle of the kitchen as Kevin recounts this.

He just turned eighty-one, she is turning seventy-nine next month.  They've been married 63 years next month.

To quote one of my favorite Doctor Who episodes: "Together, or not at all"

They are in it for the long haul.


No comments: